Footpaths and Driveways



Council has a policy to provide a paved footpath on one side of each road in our City. Exceptions to this policy occur for major roads, bus routes, and other roads where high pedestrian use or special circumstances occur on both sides of the road. Roads without footpaths are priority listed for construction of a footpath as funds become available. Footpaths are usually 1.5 metres wide and, where practical, are placed immediately abutting the kerb. Domestic irrigation and drainage will be altered if necessary during construction. There is no charge for footpath construction past a property when the construction is part of Council's authorised construction program. Please report any damaged footpaths to Council on 8366 9222.

For further information refer to Council's Footpath Development & Maintenance Policy and Council's Road Verge Development and Maintenance Policy.

Invert and Crossover

Under the Local Government Act 1999, the responsibility to construct and maintain a crossover in a safe condition rests with the property owner.

The construction and maintenance of driveways across footpaths is the responsibility of the property owner benefiting from the use of the driveway. Council can provide advice about construction and levels for construction of driveways and front fences free of charge. In order to undertake any work that impacts on Council infrastructure, Council streets or roads or Council controlled land, all residents/owners must complete and return a Road and Verge Authorisation Form Section 221. Council will consider your application, and respond to you. If you have any further queries please contact Infrastructure Services on 8366 9222.

For more information please refer to our Frequently Asked Questions.

Laying Underground Electrical

The electrical contractor or owner of the property has to submit Road and Verge Authorisation Form Section 221. The need for this form to be completed results from Council's obligations to other service authorities and the general public for safety in the community. The Permit must be completed prior to any works commencing.

Civil Construction Standard Plans

Council has established standard plans and drawings for a variety of infrastructure assets.  These are available for public use. Click here for more information.



PO Box 1, Campbelltown SA 5074 | 172 Montacute Rd, Rostrevor SA 5073
(08) 8366 9222|| ABN 37 379 133 969
ERACampbelltown Made South Australia
Font SizeDecrease font size Reset font size Increase font size